Advocacy & Community Relations Coordinator
Job Title: Advocacy & Community Relations Coordinator
Reports to: Executive Director
Schedule Type: Full-time. Occasional evenings and weekends required.
Location: Newark, New Jersey. Hybrid schedule.
Requirements: Ability to travel throughout the North/Central New Jersey (vehicle and driver’s license required); authorization to work in the United States.
The New Jersey chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR-NJ) is looking for a qualified, passionate, and talented individual to fill the Advocacy & Community Relations Coordinator position. We are seeking individuals interested in working on the front lines of the fight for the civil rights of American Muslims.
The Advocacy & Community Relations Coordinator position develops and leads policy advocacy campaigns to advance the rights of Muslim New Jerseyans, partakes in powerful coalitions with grassroots and community organizations, on issues related to Islam & Muslims. The Advocacy & Community Relations Coordinator ensures that the Muslim presence is felt, voices are heard, and interests are represented in all advocacy arenas within the State.
The Advocacy & Community Relations Coordinator handles CAIR-NJ’s advocacy and community relations portfolios. Through this role, overseeing all aspects of volunteer participation, including recruitment, training, supervision, and scheduling; community relations development including Friday/jummah tabling, outreach to stakeholders, administrative tasks and projects and other support as needed. The candidate will be working closely with staff from all departments but most closely with the Government Affairs Manager and Executive Director. The Community Relations duties will comprise of roughly 50 percent advocacy campaign related duties and 50 percent community relations to further develop CAIR-NJ’s presence and impact.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as CAIR-NJ’s advocacy lead campaign strategist (crafting, managing, and executing strategy for CAIR-NJ’s core campaigns).
- Support other campaigns in the larger civil rights, civil liberties, and social justice advocacy landscape
- Capable of issuing action alerts, conducting trainings, organizing protests, and more to mobilize community members online and on the ground.
- Help identify, develop, and maintain relationships with community partners, leaders, and other community stakeholders in the Muslim and allied communities.
- Participate in coalitions, draft letters, and petitions, and assist in mobilizing the Muslim community around issues relevant to CAIR-NJ’s advocacy, legislative and policy agenda.
- Engage in grassroots and statewide advocacy efforts to advance CAIR-NJ’s legislative priorities and those of allied organizations.
- Oversee the advocacy landscape of the State.
- Serve as CAIR-NJ’s lead organizing specialist.
- Mobilize community members, CAIR-NJ volunteers, and community / coalition partners around an organizing strategy that builds lasting power for CAIR-NJ’s priority legislation and policy
- Collaborate with fellow organizers to plan outreach and volunteer initiatives.
- Organize protests, meetings, public speaking engagements, and other actions to channel the community’s voice.
Community Relations & Outreach:
- Build and maintain relationships with diverse religious leadership and community leaders and members across the State.
- Nurture new and old relationships with collaborative partners
- Schedule regular outreach events at Muslim community centers, masjids, and general community events and gatherings.
- Maintain a calendar of outreach activities, including community events, workshops, appearances, and other public opportunities
- Increase organizational visibility throughout North and Central New Jersey.
- Design, implement, and coordinate community outreach plans.
- Recruit volunteers and facilitate their engagement for all outreach and advocacy work
- Build a strong volunteer network and offer creative incentives, programs, and projects for their engagement and retention
- Schedule and maintain consistent jummah tabling’s throughout the year.
- Schedule khutbahs for the Executive Director throughout the year.
- Work closely with the Government Affairs Manager to monitor local, state, and federal elected officials’ policies for the purpose of conducting advocacy campaigns and outreach with federal, state, and local actors.
- Occasional evenings and weekends required.
- Travel throughout New Jersey is frequent and required (travel costs covered).
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Postgraduate degree in a relevant field (Political Science, Public Policy, Public Administration, Public Affairs, Communications, Sociology) or another relevant field preferred.
- Must be able to act as the organizational spokesperson to publicly promote the advocacy issues and/or positions of the organization
- Two or more years of experience in advocacy, outreach, community engagement, specifically in a nonprofit advocacy organization. Experience working with a nonprofit and/or a grassroots, advocacy, social justice, civil rights, and civil liberties organization preferred.
- Knowledge of New Jersey, the New Jersey Muslim community, and a deep understanding of the advocacy and community landscape of New Jersey.
- Experience working with the American Muslim community and Muslim groups.
- Proficiency in a relevant language spoken amongst New Jersey American Muslims is preferred but not required.
- Basic computer proficiency including working knowledge of MS Office applications.
- Be highly motivated, detail-oriented with exemplary communications and computer skills.
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced and often changing environment.
- Experience with public speaking
- Must be able to work flexibly to deal with diverse cultural norms, educational backgrounds, and professional skills
- A strong desire to continually improve and undertake new challenges
- A strong sense of accountability with high ethical standards
- High degree of self-motivation and creativity
- Self-motivated, enthusiastic, and community-driven
Compensation & Benefits:
- Pay Range: $45,000 – $60,000 commensurate with skills and experience
- 100% employer-paid medical insurance for employees and dependents
- Up to 3% employer-matched retirement plan
- 12 Vacation days, 5 sick days, 5 personal days, and 11 holidays
Please submit (1) a cover letter, (2) resume, (3) a brief writing sample, (4) answer the three prompts on this page, and (5) the names and contact information of three references.
Applications must include all requested information in PDF format to be considered for an interview.
Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis.
CAIR-NJ is an equal opportunity employer.