CAIR-NJ, NJVRA NOW Coalition Rally in Trenton in Support of a Stronger Version of John R. Lewis Voting Rights Act of New Jersey
(SOUTH PLAINFIELD, NJ, 2/24/2022) – The New Jersey chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR-NJ) joined the New Jersey Voting Rights Act NOW Coalition at the State House in Trenton on Tuesday, Feb. 21 to call on state legislators to pass a strong version of the John R. Lewis Voting Rights Act of New Jersey (A4554/S2997) (NJVRA).
According to the NJVRA NOW Coalition, the NJVRA must:
- Establish a New Jersey preclearance program that makes local governments with a history of discrimination prove to the state or to a court in New Jersey that certain changes they make to the voting process will not harm voters of color before those changes can go into effect;
- Provide new legal tools to fight discriminatory voting rules and procedures in court;
- Expand language assistance for voters with limited English proficiency;
- Include strong protections against voter intimidation, deception or obstruction at the polls;
- Instruct state judges to interpret election laws in a pro-voter way whenever possible; and;
- Ensure local and state voting laws, procedures and regulations do not deny voters of color and other protected categories of voters the right to cast their vote.
Since the 2016 election, there has been a national surge in voter suppression bills. Although New Jersey is one of the states that has proactively introduced legislation to expand voting access, there are still many remaining issues that obstruct equal access to the ballot.
In a statement, CAIR-NJ Government Affairs Manager Madina P. Ouedraogo, MPA-PNP said:
“Marginalized and vulnerable communities need better voting rights protections, and passing a stronger version of the NJVRA is critical to meeting this need.
“We cannot boast of a strong and vibrant democracy if a large percentage of Americans are experiencing voter suppression. We stand with our coalition partners in calling on the state legislature to pass this bill, especially as we draw nearer to local elections here in New Jersey and, in a year from now, the 2024 presidential election.”
She noted that CAIR maintains a non-partisan “Muslims Vote” campaign designed to empower American Muslims by increasing their political capacity and presence.
GO TO: muslims.vote
CAIR’s mission is to protect civil rights, enhance understanding of Islam, promote justice, and empower American Muslims.
CONTACT: CAIR-NJ Communications Manager Dina Sayedahmed, email@example.com, 551-221-5592