Job Title: Communications Associate
Reports to: Communications Manager
Schedule Type: Full-time. Occasional evenings and weekends required.
Location: Newark, NJ. Hybrid schedule: four days in-person and one day remote.
Requirements: Ability to travel throughout the North/Central New Jersey (vehicle and driver’s license required); authorization to work in the United States.
The Council on American-Islamic Relations, New Jersey office (CAIR-NJ) is looking for a qualified, passionate, and talented individual to fill the Communications Associate position. We are seeking individuals interested in working on the front lines of the fight for the civil rights of American Muslims. Join a quickly growing team that works to defend civil rights on behalf of the American Muslim community, promote civic engagement, strengthen the image of Islam and Muslims in the media, and build coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding.
CAIR New Jersey is hiring a Communications associate who will amplify Muslim voices and perspectives in different forms of media and raise visibility within the American Muslim community about CAIR’s work and services. This position aims to strengthen American Muslim civil rights and civic engagement, while also improving the image of Islam and American Muslims in the media.
- Implement CAIR-NJ’s communications strategy designed to further the department and organization objectives.
- Take lead on designing graphics packages for larger projects, including Muslim Day of Advocacy, Muslim Youth Leadership Intensive, Ramadan, and Banquet.
- Provide editorial support across CAIR-NJ departments, ensuring strict adherence to CAIR-NJ editorial style guide.
- Edit all CAIR-NJ written content for style and structure (e.g. website blurbs, social media blurbs, Annual Report, presentations, brochures, etc).
- Manage and maintain content calendar, including posting to social media accounts (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, TikTok, LinkedIn, and YouTube).
- Distribute press releases through CAIR-NJ mediums, including website, email, and social media.
- Maintain quarterly analytics report.
- Assist Communications Manager in monitoring local and national news for coverage of Islam, Muslims, hate crimes, national security, civic engagement, and other relevant issues.
- Assist Communications Manager with video production.
- Assist Communications Manager in media outreach and press conferences.
- All CAIR staff are required to assist in general duties such as answering phones, weekly outreach, fundraising, and other office tasks.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, English, Communications, or equivalent work experience.
- 2-3 years of experience in Journalism, Communications, or related field.
- Impeccable writing skills.
- Astute attention to detail.
- Ability to work on tight deadlines and fast turnarounds.
- Experience working with the American Muslim community and Muslim groups.
- A strong commitment to civil rights and CAIR-NJ’s mission.
- Background knowledge on issues pertinent to New Jersey Muslim community, including but not limited to Hindutva, government surveillance and watchlists, and school and workplace accommodations.
- Working knowledge of AP style, Canva, Adobe Premiere Pro, and Adobe Photoshop. Knowledge of Adobe AfterEffects a plus
- Working knowledge of Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube.
- Pay Range: $50,000 – $60,000 commensurate with skills and experience
- 100% employer-paid medical insurance for employees and dependents
- Up to 3% employer-matched retirement plan
- 10 Vacation days, 5 sick days, 5 personal days, and 10 holidays
Please submit (1) a cover letter discussing your interest in the position, (2) your resume, (3) a brief writing sample, (4) answer the three prompts on this page, and (5) the names and contact information of three references.
Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis.
CAIR-NJ is an equal opportunity employer.