- This event has passed.
7th Annual National Muslim Advocacy Day
June 13, 2022 - June 14, 2022
Delegates Register here: https://uscmo.org/7th-annual-national-muslim-advocacy-day/
NJ delegates will be meeting with their representatives:
Congressional Representatives (12):
Donald Norcross (D-NJ-01)
Jefferson Van Drew (R-NJ-02)
Andy Kim (D-NJ-03)
Christopher “Chris” Smith (R-NJ-04)
Josh Gottheimer (D-NJ-05)
Frank Pallone Jr. (D-NJ-06)
Tom Malinowski (D-NJ-07)
Albio Sires (D-NJ-08)
Bill Pascrell Jr. (D-NJ-09)
Donald Payne Jr. (D-NJ-10)
Mikie Sherrill (D-NJ-11)
Bonnie Watson Coleman (D-NJ-12)
Join the CAIR-NJ team on Capitol Hill this summer (June 13th-14th) as a voice advocating for the issues that matter to the NJ community. Everyone is encouraged to register for this two-day advocacy event. Muslim delegates and activists will meet with various congressional offices to discuss the most pressing issues impacting American Muslims in today’s political climate.
- JOINT HOUSE AND SENATE REQUEST: HOLDING CVE ACCOUNTABLE: Support FY 2023 Appropriations request language seeking stronger transparency requirements for the DHS’ Center for Prevention Programs and Partnerships (CP3) – the newest iteration of DHS’s Countering Violent Extremism (CVE) grant initiative, which discriminatorily targeted Muslims in a misguided attempt to identify individuals who might commit acts of terrorism.
- JOINT HOUSE AND SENATE REQUEST: SUPPORTING AFGHAN REFUGEES: Co-sponsor the Afghan Adjustment Act, supported by Rep. Earl Blumenauer and Sen. Chris Coons, which would allow the tens of thousands of Afghan evacuees to apply to become lawful permanent residents one year after arrival.
- JOINT HOUSE AND SENATE REQUEST: CANCELING STUDENT DEBT, ZERO INTEREST LOANS: Support canceling all student debt and endorse the American Muslim community’s call for Congress and the White House establish interest-free federal student loans.
- U.S. SENATE REQUEST: CO-SPONSOR AND MARK-UP COMBATING INTERNATIONAL ISLAMOPHOBIA ACT (S. 3384): Co-sponsor and urge for the Senate Foreign Relations Committee mark-up and adoption of Senators Cory Booker, Ben Cardin, and Bernie Sanders’ International Combating Islamophobia Act, which would establish a special envoy office at the U.S. State Department to monitor and combat international Islamophobia.
Monday June 13, 2022
Start: 8:30 AM EDT
End: 6:00 PM EDT
Tuesday June 14, 2022
Start: 10:00 AM EDT
End: 5:00 PM EDT
WHERE & HOW
The meetings will take place on Capitol Hill — the nation’s capital in Washington, D.C.. The nearest hotels we suggest delegates stay at are the following. (Note: CAIR-NJ staff are staying at Holiday Inn National Airport/Crystal City)
- Option 1: Holiday Inn National Airport/Crystal City
- Option 2: Courtyard by Mariott Crystal City
- Option 3: Hyatt Regency Crystal City at Reagan National Airport
Each hotel is a 10–15-minute drive to the Capitol building, very close to Reagan Airport and accessible via public transportation. They are also typically more affordable than hotels in DC itself.
You are responsible for your own travel and accommodation. If traveling by air, the recommended airport is the Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport.
You may also drive and/or consider Amtrak options HERE
MASJID DELEGATE SPONSORSHIP
Can your masjid sponsor 2-4 delegates from your congregation to
attend this year’s National Muslim Congressional Advocacy Days?
In order to have the most impact, registered voters from as many NJ
congressional districts need to be present for the meetings with their
Please see this pdf document.